Selling Internationally Doesn’t Have to Be Hard.
Are you looking for the next big e-commerce opportunity? It might be time to set your sights on international borders. Cross-border trade (CBT) offers lots of benefits, such as a vast number of new customers, the chance to overcome seasonality (it’s summer somewhere, after all) and a potential niche in an underserved market.
We won’t sugarcoat it. CBT requires a lot of moving pieces. That’s why we developed the Agile CBT Framework: to help you know where to start, and where to go next. Based on our experience helping online retailers sell abroad, we believe in:
- Starting small — low investment, low risk.
- Expanding slowly and adapting to changes and challenges.
- Following a cycle of testing, learning, iterating and integrating.
The ChannelAdvisor Agile CBT Framework
Agile CBT involves four flexible stages. Each stage builds on previous stages and solutions, and no two CBT paths will be the same. You might iterate on one stage for a while before moving to the next. Or you might skip a stage in some markets. Or never reach the next stage in another. (And that’s okay.)
Goal: Tap into channels with loyal customers and existing demand.
- Explore international selling programmes on marketplaces you already sell on
- Ship from your home market
- Localise your webstore checkout process for international orders
- Begin to tackle shipping and returns, taxes and legal processes
Goal: Increase your engagement in the new market.
- Sell directly on the region’s home marketplaces
- List products in local language and currency
- Offer customer service in local language
- Address any lingering tax, legal or accounting issues
3. Lite Site
Goal: Become fully equipped and prepared for the final stage.
- Launch a local, “lite” version of your webstore
- Focus on basic site functionality
- Begin low-risk retention marketing such as affiliate, retargeting, email and social
- Build your reputation and customer service
- Strengthen your local logistics
4. Full Site
Goal: Offer a fully local e-commerce experience.
- Provide full website functionality, including mobile optimisation
- Ramp up marketing, including paid advertising, to acquire customers
- Continue adjusting processes to keep up with industry and demand
- Use previous lessons learned to continue to expand to other regions
Why Go International with ChannelAdvisor?
Increase ROIScale and expandDozens of Channels.
Choose from a multitude of international marketplaces, comparison shopping engines and more. See all our supported channels here.
Use the ChannelAdvisor interface to manage international selling programmes, such as Fulfilment by Amazon and eBay’s Global shipping Programme. Ship to a UK location, then they’ll take care of global delivery.
Take advantage of our offices around the world. We offer on-the-ground local experience and support in the most influential e-commerce regions.
Scale and expandGain insightsA Trusted Framework.
Stop worrying about what your next global step is. Retailers have found our international process so helpful, we decided to give it a name. Learn more about Agile CBT below.
Scale and expandGain insightsReally Smart Partners.
Access a big network of bright people. You’ll need shipping experts, tax experts, translation experts… the list goes on. See all our partners here.
|KEY||= Increase ROI = Gain insights= Scale and expand= Save time|
CBT Success Stories
Customer Spotlight: Toynk Toys
“ChannelAdvisor has made it efficient for us to sell on all these marketplaces and expand to new ones at the same time. Right now, we’re working on expanding to three more marketplaces, which wouldn’t have been possible before ChannelAdvisor.”
—Dave Madoch, Toynk Toys
Customer Spotlight: Trueshopping
“Listing through ChannelAdvisor takes a fraction of the time to get our listings live. Listing on the German marketplace takes just as short a time as it does to list on the UK marketplace, which really allows us to get our products in front of our customers as quickly and as efficiently as possible.”
—Peter Lilley, Trueshopping
Learn more about Agile CBT and get tips on how to start by reading our Agile CBT eBook or calling us on 0203 014 2700.