Holiday 2015 Same Store Sales – Thanksgiving mid-day report
Note: this is a regular feature published by ChannelAdvisor highlighting the Same Store Sales (SSS) across our wide range of thousands of retailers and billions in GMV. Details on the SSS including background, methodology, disclaimers and the 2015 schedule can be found in this post and you can find our holiday schedule here.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Everyone at ChannelAdvisor wants to thank our customers and partners for having the privilege to work with you as you build your e-commerce businesses.
Today we are releasing an early look at Thanksgiving data. This data is date-shifted to compare Thanksgiving this year (Nov 26) vs. last year (Nov 27). Last year we saw shoppers hit the online offers as early as Thanksgiving so we are doing an early look to see how Thanksgiving is shaping up. This data measures from midnight ET -noon to look at the first 12hrs of Thanksgiving:
A couple of insights from this view of the data:
- Total – e-commerce is set to grow 15% y/y (comScore) and so far for Thanksgiving we are at 50.6% y/y on a SSS basis, much faster than the e-commerce trend. This data indicates that indeed consumers are aggressively shopping online this Thanksgiving. To put this in perspective, last year we saw 19% SSS growth for mid-day Thanksgiving and we ended Thanksgiving up 20%
- Amazon – Amazon is outperforming the 15% benchmark by more than 2X coming in at 31.2%
- eBay – eBay grew 11.1% y/y for the intraday Thanksgiving period. eBay tends to be driven by inventory shortages, so we will have to see if this perks up later in the season. While not in-line with e-commerce, this is the best eBay result we have seen since November of last year.
- CSE – CSEs were up 41.3% y/y, driven by Google Shopping/PLA.
- GS – Google Shopping/PLA grew at 59.5% y/y
- Search – Search grew 4.7% y/y.
- Other 3PM – Other Third Party Marketplaces were off to a very strong start, and our fastest growing e-commerce channel this Thanksgiving coming in at 217.6%.
Our next post will be tomorrow (Black Friday, Nov 28th) where we’ll update the final details on Thanksgiving (including device data/trends) and we’ll start filling in our annual Cyber5 table. We will also have an early look at Black Friday data tomorrow.
Our next post will be tomorrow (Black Friday, November 27th) where we’ll update the final results for Thanksgiving (including device data trends), the first day of the Cyber Five and give an intraday update on how Black Friday is trending.
This blog post was written by Scot Wingo, Executive Chairman and Founder, ChannelAdvisor.