Note: this is a regular feature published by ChannelAdvisor highlighting the Same Store Sales (SSS) across our wide range of thousands of retailers and billions in GMV. Details on the SSS including background, methodology, disclaimers and the 2015 schedule can be found in this post and you can find our holiday schedule here.
Today we are releasing an early read on black Friday (11/27/2015) based on results through noon ET time.
Black Friday Early Read:
What we are seeing on Black Friday:
- Total – e-commerce is set to grow 15% y/y (comScore) and so far for Black Friday we are at 19.6% y/y on a SSS basis, much faster than the e-commerce trend. This data indicates that Black Friday 2015 is in-line with 2014. Last year we saw 21% sSS growth for mid-day and finished up 22%. This year we are in-line with that at 19.6%. Thanksgiving definitely was the fastest growing day of the Cyber Five thus far.
- Amazon – Amazon is outperforming the 15% benchmark coming in at 19.6%.
- eBay – eBay declined 10% y/y for the intraday Black Friday period. eBay tends to be driven by inventory shortages, so we will have to see if this perks up later in the season. While not in-line with e-commerce, this is the best eBay result we have seen since November of last year.
- CSE – CSEs were up 11% y/y, driven by Google Shopping/PLA.
- GS – Google Shopping/PLA grew at 26.4% y/y.
- Search – Search grew 2.7% y/y.
- Other 3PM – Other Third Party Marketplaces continued the trend from Thanksgiving and our early Black Friday read has them coming in at 105.1%, another very strong showing that is more than 6X the rate of e-commerce.
Our next post will be tomorrow (Cyber Saturday, November 28th) where we’ll update the final results for Black Friday (including device data trends), and we’ll be able to track how the Cyber Five is going.
This blog post was written by Scot Wingo, Executive Chairman and Founder, ChannelAdvisor.